We’re excited to announce that you can now invite your friends to play multiplayer games with you in Paused! It’s a simple feature, but it means that you’ll never be bored again. Here’s what you need to know about playing multiplayer games in Paused:
What Is Paused Multiplayer?
Paused Multiplayer is a new feature that lets you and your friends play together even when some of you are offline. You can pause, then resume a multiplayer match without losing any progress. You can also invite friends to play a multiplayer game with you and view their matches from the lobby.
How Do I Know If I’ve Been Invited?
Now that we have the facts out of the way, let’s talk about how you might be notified when you’ve been invited to play a multiplayer game.
- You will receive an invitation to play a multiplayer game. You can find this in your inbox or in-app notifications on your phone.
- If you’re not sure whether or not you’ve recently been invited, look at your app’s home screen for a message from the host inviting you to join their game—it’ll contain information about when and where to meet up with them as well as any other special instructions they may have given (e.g., “You can use my paddleboard.”).
How Do I Invite Friends to Play a Multiplayer Game?
- Invite friends from the Friends list: In the friends list, you can invite your Xbox Live friends to play a multiplayer game with you.
- Invite friends from the Multiplayer menu: Open up the multiplayer menu and choose “Invite Friends” to open up a new window that lets you send invitations to other players.
- Invite friends from the Game Hub: Click on an active multiplayer game in your Game Hub, then select “Friends.” From there, click on “Invite” next to each friend’s name on the right side of their profile picture to send them an invite directly.
- Invite friends from Activity Feed: You can also send challenges or invites directly via activity feed posts by selecting one or more online friends and clicking ‘Send Message.’ This will open up a separate window where you can type in any text message before sending it off!
How Do I View My Friends’ Matches?
You can watch your friends’ matches, as well as view their wins and losses. You can also see their performance (how they’re doing in the game), progress (how much they’ve played), and overall ranking. If you want to see how well your friend is doing, but you don’t want them to know that you’re watching, just click on “Hide my profile” in the upper right corner of the screen while viewing a friend’s match.
If you have an account on Kongregate, then it’s easy for us to link up our games so that we can play together! When we linked our accounts together for Pause Multiplayer: Super Smash Bros., I was able to see all of my friends’ games (even ones that weren’t part of this specific multiplayer game).
How do I know if a friend is online and available to play?
The first thing you can do is check their profile. If they are online and available to play, their status will be indicated by an icon. If they’re in a game with you, it will also say “Playing with friends” right under the name of your friend’s account.
You can also look at their activity feed (the stream on the left side) and see what games they’ve been playing recently—you may recognize some of them!
If you want to join your friend’s game but aren’t sure if they’re still in it or not, try sending them a message first via our in-game chat feature (press Y).
What types of multiplayer games can I play with this feature?
- You can play multiplayer games on any device that supports the feature.
- You can play multiplayer games on any platform that supports the feature.
If you want to play, it’s really easy to do.
If you want to play, it’s really easy to do. You can play with friends or strangers, and it works just like the previous version of multiplayer.
- Click on “Play Multiplayer” in your Catalog.
- Choose a game mode (you’ll see a list of all modes that support multiplayer).
- Pick who you want to invite to your table!
A new age of gaming is upon us, and it’s never been easier to play with friends than it is now. Now that you’re up to speed on how this feature works, what are you waiting for? Find a game and get playing!