Opening Day of the 2011 season is just one day away and Sony has released an update full of new features for the MLB.TV app on the PS3. Along with better video and audio quality, the update brings a new UI, quick access to in-game stats including the ability to track fantasy players, a new “Park” audio option and event navigation.
The update comes at a great time especially for those who pre-ordered MLB 11 The Show and got 30 days of MLB.TV for free. The new UI and in-game stats are welcome additions but the big key is video quality and we’ll have to wait till the season starts to see how improved the video quality actually is. For a preview of all the features check out this video as Jeff Rubenstien walks us through some of the new features.
- Highest Quality HD Streaming – Speed detection technology gives users ultra-HQ video access (NexDef 4.5 mbps) depending on available bandwidth.
- Enhanced Audio – In-game alternate audio selection allows users to overlay the home or away team’s broadcasters over the live video or use the “Park” option to include the ballpark’s natural sounds.
- Quick-Access Stats – View player cards with full career stats, league leaders, and in-game stats including AB, R, H, RBI, K, BB, SO, LOB, AVG, HR, SB.
- Event Navigation – Select in-game event types, such as home runs, hits or stolen bases, to show on a progression timeline and jump directly to the at bat where they happened.
- Improved User Interface – User-friendly design makes it even easier to browse.
In addition to the upgrades you’ll still enjoy all of the great features introduced in 2010:
- Home and Away Feeds – Choose to watch either the home or away broadcast feed with a subscription to MLB.TV Premium.
- Live Broadcast DVR Functionality – Use the live video overlay to pause and rewind live games or fast-forward to return to live game action.
- Season Archive – Watch games and relive great moments from earlier in the season.
- Scrollable Linescore – Go directly to any half-inning to watch only that portion of the game.
- MLB Scoreboard – Scrollable league-wide scoreboard for each day’s games in three modes: Pre-game with scheduled starting pitchers; Live with up-to-the-minute game status; and Post-game with final pitching decisions and archived feed selection.
- Favorite Team Selection – Pick a favorite team or teams to be featured first on the daily scoreboard.
- Calendar Schedule – Scroll through the entire 2011 Major League Baseball schedule in calendar format or the user-designated favorite team’s schedule.
While the MLB.TV app is free for everyone to download you still have to have a MLB.TV subscription in order to access the games on your PS3. You can head over to ps3.com/mlbtv to sign up for the annual package ($99.99 or $119.95) or you can pay the monthly rate ($24.99 or $19.99). But as I mentioned earlier, if you pre-ordered The Show, you automatically get the first month for free. I paid for the subscription at the end of last year for a discount and I was extremely pleased with the quality and the interface. Though I should note that I do have a very fast internet connection and there was a big drop in quality when I went to someone’s house with a slower connection. The update is available now, be sure to check it out.